A French Open qualifier match at Roland Garros descended into chaos on Tuesday, with the chair umpire forced to intervene after a confrontation between two players at the net.
The incident occurred during the men’s qualifying match between 22-year-old Frenchman, Antoine Escoffier, and 28-year-old Italian, Luca Vanni. The match was tied at 6-6 in the third set when the altercation took place.
According to AS, the pair had been engaged in a heated exchange throughout the match, with Escoffier appearing to be frustrated by Vanni’s antics.
Key Moments
The confrontation began when Vanni accused Escoffier of time-wasting, prompting the Frenchman to respond angrily. The situation quickly escalated, with both players standing their ground and refusing to back down.
Umpire, Damien Dumusois, was forced to step in and separate the pair, who were both given a warning for their behavior. The match was eventually resumed, with Escoffier going on to win the set 7-5.
Reaction
The incident has left many in the tennis world stunned, with some calling for greater action to be taken to prevent such altercations in the future.
‘It’s unacceptable behavior from both players,’ said a tennis insider. ‘The umpire did the right thing in stepping in and separating them, but it’s a worrying trend that’s been seen in tennis of late.’
What it means
The incident has sparked concerns about the level of respect between players on the ATP Tour, with some arguing that the sport is becoming too physical and aggressive.
‘We need to take a closer look at the behavior of our players and make sure that we’re doing everything we can to prevent incidents like this from happening in the future,’ said French Tennis Federation president, Gilles Moretton.
Up next
The French Open qualifying tournament continues on Wednesday, with the final round of matches taking place on the courts of Roland Garros.
References
- AS















